Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


I’ve noticed lately that several genre Web sites out there are now holding annual October horror watching marathons. Basically a movie is selected for each day of the month, and general discussion ensues on the blogs and message boards of the various sites. It’s a cool idea and something I’m considering doing here next year (I’m usually watching a movie a day through October anyway to get in the spirit, so might as well make it that much more interesting : ) As for the big day itself, I usually try to watch a couple of movies I haven’t seen on Halloween. This year I have some that look pretty interesting . . .

#1 – Fear(s) of the Dark (2007) – This is one I’ve been hearing about for a while, and the one that I’m most excited about. It’s a French produced animation anthology, featuring comic/graphic artists from around the world. The concept involves the artists exploring the phobias and nightmares that they find unsettling, and the animation is rendered in black and white. The whole thing just looks extremely cool. The closest it played to Hampton Roads was up in Williamsburg, but I was too lazy to make the drive. Thanks DVD!

#2 – Artifacts (2007) – This is a body snatchers type of film released by Lion’s Gate. I’ve been watching a fair amount of stuff from Lion’s Gate as of late, because they’ve been picking up foreign horror films that otherwise wouldn’t see the light of day here. It’s been a mixed bag, but occasionally you find an interesting gem in there. I saw a very positive review of this at one of the sites a visit regularly, but the overwhelming consensus seems to be negative. I figured I’d risk it.

And I would be remiss in my duties to you if I didn’t remind you that tonight is Dr. Madblood’s annual Halloween special on WRHO! I believe he’s showing William Castle’s House On Haunted Hill this time around. If you haven’t seen it in a while, it’s just a fantastic film . . . and surprisingly startling at times. As if that weren’t enough incentive, there will also likely be some Monster Fest footage thrown in there if I’m not mistaken. So if you missed the event you can live vicariously through this awesome viewing experience.

I hope you all have a safe and happy Halloween, and I’ll be checking back in early next week with the final details on our BIG zombie event in November! It’s easily going to be one of the greatest Fantasmos ever!!

No comments: