Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Episode 38: SEAGALOGY!

Hey Superfans!
This is it! This is the Fantasmo that has been six long months in the making! This is THE Fantasmo event of the summer! As all of you who read the blog well know, following the receipt of the best Christmas gift ever (http://fantasmocinema.blogspot.com/2007/12/seagalogy.html) I began an odyssey into the world of Steven Seagal. I revisited the classic Seagal films I had enjoyed in his heyday, and plunged headlong into his prolific DTV era work. But I didn’t stop there. No sir. I began enjoying his Lightning Bolt energy drinks (http://fantasmocinema.blogspot.com/2008/04/steven-seagal-is-attack-force.html), and even started listening to his music. I became a full-blown Seagalogist! Now, in celebration of the re-release of the instant classic that is Seagalogy (http://fantasmocinema.blogspot.com/2008/02/vern-talks-seagalogy-fantasmo-interview.html ), comes a Fantasmo dedicated to all things Seagal! What’s in store you may ask? Here’s but a brief sampling of the wonders you will experience:

*A discussion of the principles of Seagal’s trademark aikido style and a live aikido demonstration by representatives from Aikido of Virginia Beach (http://www.aikido-of-virginia-beach.com/)!

*Samples of both flavors (Asian Experience & Cherry Charge) of Seagal’s Lightning Bolt energy drink to lucky door prize winners!

*Live discussion of Seagal’s oeuvre with reclusive Seagalogy author/Ain’t It Cool News contributor Vern!

*Trailers from Seagal’s classic films!

*Team Fantasmo commentary!

*A superior attitude and superior state of mind!

. . . and much, much more!

Here are your full Episode 38 details:

When: Saturday, July 12, 8:00 P.M.

Where: Chesapeake Central Library, 298 Cedar Road

Films & Activities:

8:00 P.M. – Aikido Lecture/Demonstration & Out for Justice (Rated R)

10:00 P.M. – Author Discussion & Belly of the Beast (Rated R)

If you attend just one Fantasmo all year, make this that Fantasmo!

5 comments:

george booker said...

holy ish! vern's coming?! well played, mr. blanton.

seriously, everybody, if you don't check out his site regularly, this guy has one of the most unique, insightful, and hilarious voices in film criticism and, i'll go ahead and say, the internet in general.

very curious to see how he comes off live. vern has taken some knocks for his casual and profane writing style, but he is also the perfect example of what casual and profane internet writing is supposed to be, putting legions of pop culture snark slingers (myself included) to shame.

Jim Blanton said...

Due to the need for secrecy, at this point I can only say that he will be there live in some form : ) We're still working out the details, and it promises to be a lot of fun!

Couldn't agree more with you George on Vern's site and reviews. His commentary is truly something special. I also highly recommend his book Seagalogy. Even for non-fans it is a hilarious book (yet respectful), and I can guarantee you'll be very tempted to start checking out DTV Seagal flicks! It's easily one of the best film criticism books I've ever read (and I've read quite a few in my time).

Chris Johnson said...

This is the greatest Fantasmo of all time! I didn't know it but this is the Fantasmo I have been waiting my whole life for!

I couldn't agree more about Vern. He is the voice of film criticism I had always wanted to find. He sees and understands movies the same way I do and makes his points in a funny way but also with the respect of a true fan. The majority of film crticism books are all basically the same. Politics, high-brown artsy language, psychology, and blah, blah, blah. Vern breaks that mold like Seagal breaks wrists!

Jim Blanton said...

I think you're 100% right! It's the Fantasmo that no one asked for, yet everyone subconsciously wanted above all else. It truly has the potential to be the best one we've ever done!

If you would have told me 7 months ago that a Fantasmo devoted to Seagal would be the one by which all others are measured, I would have probably expressed disbelief. Now it's pretty much a certainty!

On the topic of Vern, one thing I would add. His reviews aren't high brow in the traditional sense (e.g. they don't use impenetrable language), but I would argue that they are high brow in terms of their analysis. Some might dismiss them because of the colorful language he employs, but that's just window dressing for some very insightful writing.

Chris Johnson said...

I agree with you Jim. Vern really does offer some great insights into the movies he reviews while doing it in an entertaining fashion. That's not an easy task but he really pulls it off.